Замки, фортеці, палаци Львова та його околиць – Палац Потоцьких

Львів туристичнийСкачать «Львів туристичний», 1:20 000

Скачать «Карты областей и городов Украины» бесплатно, а также скачать много других карт можно в нашем  архиве карт

Палац Потоцьких розташований у місті Львів на вулиці Коперника, 15.

Палац Потоцьких — одна з архітектурних прикрас і центр культурно­го життя Львова. Палац є філією Львівської картинної галереї, тут роз­міщена експозиція європейського мистецтва XIV —XVIII століття. Крім того, в колишньому палаці Потоцьких проводять виставки і перформанси, а також знаменитий щорічний книжковий ярмарок «Форум видавців у Львові».

Палац Потоцьких Палац зведено 1880 року в стилі неоренесансу за проектом французь­кого архітектора Луї де Берні за участю польського архітектора Юліана Цибульського. У той час тут була невелика садиба Потоцьких, оточена великим парком. Львівський палац призначався для світських захо­дів, прийомів і важливих зустрічей. Його загальна площа становить 3100 квадратних метрів. На першому поверсі розташовувалися парадні зали, декоровані ліпниною, позолотою, різнокольоровим мармуром і цін­ними породами дерева. На верхніх поверхах були влаштовані кімнати для прийому гостей, кабінети, вітальні, а також кімнати для переодягань.

***1919 року у Львові відбувався військовий парад, і через трагічну випадковість на дах палацу впав американський літак. Сталася пожежа, що сильно пошкодила дах із рідкісного і цінного матеріалу — сланцевого шиферу. Дах залатали іншим, доступнішим матеріалом, і це трохи змінило вигляд будівлі.

З вулиці гостей зустрічала ефектна брама з флігелями-сторожками. Навколо палацу був розбитий мальовничий парк, проте вже на початку XX століття навколишню територію забудували багатоповерхівками; збе­реглися лише двір перед палацом і невеликий сад з боку паркового фасаду.

_prev lviv Pototskiy Palace

PototsKiy Palace

Pototskiy Palace is situated in Lviv, in 15 Kopernyk street.

Pototskiy Palace is one of the architectural decorations and the center of cul-  tural life of the city. The palace is a branch of Lviv Art Gallery, and it houses the exposition of the European art of the 14lh— 18th centuries. In addition, the former Pototskiy Palace hosts exhibitions and performances, as well as the famous annual Book Fair "The Lviv Forum of Publishers".

The palace was constructed in 1880 of Neo-Renaissance style; it was de­signed by the French architect Louis de Verne with participation of the Polish architect Julian Tsybulskiy. At that time, in this place there was a small Pototskiy's estate encircled by a large park. The Lviv palace was intended for fes­tive entertainments, receptions, and important meetings. The total area of the palace is 3,100 sguare meters. In the first floor there were halls decorated with molding, gilding, colored marble, and finewood. In the top floors, there were rooms for receptions, several studies, living rooms, and dressing rooms.

From the street guests were welcomed by a spectacular gate with the wings that were gatehouses and the courtyard had parking places for carriages.

*** In 1919, Lviv witnessed a military parade, and by a tragic accident an American aircraft fell on the roof of the palace. There was a fire that severely damaged the roof made of a rare and precious material, the slate tile. The roof was repaired with another material which was more affordable, and it changed the appearance of the building a little.

Around the palace there was a beautiful park, but at the beginning of the 20 lh century the surrounding area was built up with apartment houses, so only the court in front of the palace and a small garden from the side of the park facade have been preserved.

WHAT TO SEE

Lviv’s old town is so densely packed with mesmerizing, inspiring and unique attractions that travellers often become paralysed with fascination and never leave. Known as the centre of Ukrainian art and culture, the city boasts many of the country’s brightest and best museums, art galleries and theatres. The uncommonly preserved Renaissance architecture, gently bending streets and hidden ancient niches are sure to propel your mind through a vivid collage of centuries gone by.

Sobor Sviatoho YuraChurches & Cathedrals

St. George Cathedral (Sobor Sviatoho Yura), Svyatoho Yura pl. 5. This Greek Catholic cathedral, con-structed in 1744-1761, is a remarkable example of Rococo architecture. Located at the height of St. George Mount, the ca-thedral dominates the surrounding area, but doesn’t clash with the landscape. The main façade is set-off by a portal watched over by St. Athanasius and St. Leo (works by renowned sculptor Johann Georg Pinzel). In the cathedral itself, there lies a crypt where celebrated figures of the Ukrainian church are entombed. A park is nestled behind the palace and features a distinctive bell tower, which houses a remarkable bell. Cast in 1341, it is the oldest bell in Ukraine. The cathedral grounds are extremely calming and it’s hard to imagine that hard times once prevailed. Following the death of metropolitan Andrei Sheptytsky in March 1946, Soviet authorities coerced church leaders to denounce Rome and join the Russian Orthodox Church. Justice prevailed in 1989 as the Greek Catholic Church re-established itself and resumed operation of the cathedral. The last major event to take place at St. George happened 2001. While visiting Lviv, Pope John Paul II lived in the Metropolitan’s Palace.

The Armenian Cathedral (Virmens’kyi Sobor), Virmens’ka 7. The history of Lviv is a tapestry woven by more than 100 nationalities. Armenians began inhabiting the city in the 14th century and quickly established their own quarter complete with a small cathedral completed in 1370. This original building perished in the fire of 1527. The structure that stands today blends a few architectural styles including Old Russian, Gothic and Armenian. The original bell tower was erected in 1571, but was later toppled by the Turks during a siege. The 19th century version of the bell tower is a restoration of the original. The courtyard provides a tranquil setting for the decorative column and figure of St. Christopher. The neighbouring buildings are those of a former Armenian bank, established in the 17th century, and Lviv’s oldest pawnshop.

The Assumption Church (Uspens’ka Tserkva), Rus’ka 7. This vibrant example of Renaissance architecture has served as the centre of the Orthodox Christian faith for centuries. In the middle of the 16th century, the Assumption Brotherhood was founded here along with a printing press and a school. The church has experienced many episodes of ruin and reconstruction. The first Assumption Church was constructed of wood in 1344, but was destroyed by fire during an attack on Lviv by Polish feudal lords in 1350. The second church was built of stone in 1421 and experienced a relatively peaceful existence until it too was levelled by the great fire of 1527. (With the exception of City Hall and one other structure, the fire of 1527 devoured the entire city.) The replacement was completed in 1559 and, you guessed it, was completely destroyed by fire in 1571. The danger posed by fire was apparently driven home and the cathedral constructed in 1591 has survived until the present. Also located on the premises are Kornjakt’s Tower and the Chapel of Three Prelates.

The Bernardine Cathedral and Monastery, Sob orna pl. 1-3. The Bernardine Cathedral and Monastery is one of the most inspiring sites in Lviv. The area around which the monastery stands has evolved over the years, but the monastery itself remains as architect Pavlo Rimlyanin envisioned. Constructed in the 17th century, the cathedral’s façade is protected by statues of the sacred order of Bernardine and the niches of the second tier hold images of Mary, Jesus and apostles Peter and Andrew. Be respectful, of course, but don’t be afraid to drop in on a prayer session. The cathedral’s magnificent interior is stirring. Originally located outside the city walls, the monastery had its own defences. A section of the original protective wall remains and can be viewed from Pidval’na vul.The impressive column that stands before the cathedral supports a sculpture of St. Jan and was constructed in 1736. Originally from a small settlement named Dukla, Jan rose to prominence in Lviv where he died in September 1484 at the age of 60. He was quickly canonized. The monument was established in memoriam to those on the Polish side who perished during the Khmel’nyts’kyi Uprising. In 1648 allied armies led by Ukrainian Hetman Bohdan Khmel’nyts’kyi invaded the Carpathian region in an attempt to seize control from the Poles. One of the campaign’s goals was the complete eradication of Roman Catholic priests. Legend has it that during a purge St. Jan appeared from the heavens and protected the targeted group of priests. Much speculation exists concerning controversial events that have taken place within the monastery and its cells. One of the more famous cases concerns a letter missive (sanction of trade) addressed to Dracula.

The Chapel of the Boim Family (Kaplytsia Boimiv), Katedral na pl. 1. Constructed in the early 17th century on the grounds of what was a city cemetery; this quaint structure was originally intended for use as a crypt by the Boim family. George Boim, a Lviv merchant and moneylender of Hungarian origin, started the project and his son, Paul-George, put the finishing touches on what would become a permanent feature in Lviv’s stunning centre. The side of the chapel is decorated with fretwork that gives the impression that the entire structure has been turned inside-out. Fresco portraits of George Boim and his wife Jadwiga can be viewed from Halyts’ka vul. The site has been protected by UNESCO since the 1970s.

The Dominican Cathedral (Dominicans’kyi Sobor), Museina pl. 1. The foundation of the Dominican Monastery dates back to the second half of the 13th century when Constance, the wife of Lev I of Galicia, commissioned the construc¬tion of a small wooden church in gratitude for the generosity of the local Dominican monks. Eventually destroyed by fire in 1408, a Gothic-era stone church was constructed in its place. The monastery, which could accommodate more than 100 monks, experienced its heyday beginning in 1612 when it become the central monastery of the Eastern European Dominican Order. In 1742 cracks were detected in the cathedral’s arch. An emergency meeting was convened and all rescue options were exhausted. Demolition commenced in 1749. Construction on the new cathedral, designed by architect Jan de Witte, began shortly after. The bell tower was constructed in 1865. During the Soviet era the site was used as a regional archive and as a school for would be printing workers. After restoration in 1972 the Dominican Monastery opened as a museum dedicated to the history of religion and atheism; the atheists have since left the building. Religious services have also resumed.

The Latin Cathedral (Latyns’kyi Sobor), Katedral’na pl. 1. This is a spectacular example of ancient Lviv’s Gothic influence. Officially known as the Archcathedral Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, it’s understandable why most just call it the Latin. Constructed in 1360, a relic was incorporated into the first foundation stone by King Kazimir the Great. Both the interior and exterior have evolved throughout the centuries, but the sanctuary and altar have remained unchanged. The cathedral was severely damaged in the fire of 1527. During its restoration in the 18th century, Baroque forms replace those of the Gothic era. The marvellous stained glass windows were incorporated at the end of the 19th century. A cemetery once existed on and around what is now Katedral’na ploscha (Cathedral Square). In 1765 all burials were relocated and further burials forbid¬den. The cemetery’s chapel, the Chapel of the Boim Family, remains on the site and is a protected historical monument. Pope John Paul II attended mass here on June 26th, 2001.

The St. Peter and Paul Church of the Jesuit Order (Kostiol Jezuitiv), Teatral’na 11. Located with its back turned to Svobody prosp. and the monument of Taras Shevchenko, this is considered one of the more mystical places in Lviv. Much like the Jesuits themselves, the structure is meant to be kept an enigma and random tourists will find it difficult to gain full access. The church was constructed in the beginning of the 17th century and is modelled after the classic Church of the Gesu in Rome. The size of the church is impressive: 41 metres long, 26 metres high and 22.5 metres wide. Lviv’s founding Jesuits are historically characterized as aggressive missionaries who quickly established a devout following. The sect was also known for its savvy in the area of property development. When they first settled in Lviv in the 16th century they possessed absolutely no property. When Austria ordered the abolition of the Jesuits 1848, the Lviv brotherhood owned property worth up to one million thalers (big bucks for that time). A section of the premises is currently occupied by the Lviv Scientific Library and is used as an archive.