Жмеринка – обличчя міста

Жмеринка - план містаСкачать карту «Жмеринка - обличчя міста»

Скачать «Карты областей и городов Украины» бесплатно, а также скачать много других карт можно в нашем архиве карт

Zhmerynka is a town in Vinnytsia region. It was founded in the second half of the 19th century; the building of the railway Kyiv-Balta gave start to a new town. The name of the railway station comes from the names of two villages-Velyka (Big) and Mala (Small) Zhmerynka. In September of 1871 the new Volochys'k line, the shortest railway route connecting the South of Ukraine with the Austrian Empire and the Western European countries, was put into operation. On August 30, 1892 another line, Zhmerynka-Mohyliv started functioning. The construction of a locomotive depot began.

Zhmerynka grew rapidly and soon became an important railway junction. The need for a new railway station arose. Architect V. Rykov designed the building of the station (with the assistance of architect D. Zhuravs'kyi) in the shape of a ship heading towards the sea. Built in 1899-1904, the station became one of the best and most beautiful railway stations of the Russian Empire. It still is one of the finest buildings belonging to the Ukrainian Railways.

On the 18th of November 1903 Zhmerynka was granted the status of a town. The Town Council started functioning on January 7,1905. The estate manager of Count Heyden's Karl Vikentiiovych Verons'kyi became the first Mayor of Zhmerynka.

Just before the World War I Zhmerynka had 9 factories and plants and 36 craftsmen workshops. A machine-building plant that produced machinery for agricultural purposes, a sawmill, an iron foundry and two brickyards with 129 workers had been among them. Most of the working age population was employed at the railway. The town at that time constituted of around 1. 737 households. Its population was 27,200. In December 1918 Zhmerynka became a provisional capital of the Ukrainian National Republic (UNR).

During the World War II in-between July 17,1941 and March 18,1944 Zhmerynka was occupied by Nazi troops. Jewish population was kept in a Ghetto. The occupants built a concentration camp for prisoners of war on the outskirts of Zhmerynka. There the Nazis murdered up to 10 thousands of prisoners during a short period of time.

The town was liberated from the German occupation on March 22,1944.

In the late 1940s by way of public works Locomotive Stadium was reconstructed.

In 1956 a new musical school was opened. A local power station started working again around this time too. The region s first wide screen cinema Suputnyk was opened in 1969. Sector works started operating in the same year.

Today the most developed spheres of the town's economy are food industry, machine building, production and repair of locomotives and rolling stock, paper and cardboard production, etc. A motorway connects Zhmerynka with the centre of the Oblast - Vinnytsia, and with other towns and villages of the region.

The town has several architectural monuments of the Oblast and national importance. Among them are the building of the Railway Station, some sacral buildings, such as St Nicolas Church, St Alexander Nevskiy’s Church, St Michael's Church and St O’leksii's Cathedral.

One of the tourists' attractions is a monument to the famous character of ll'f's and Petrov's novels - Ostap Bender - who is Zhmerynka-born according to the book. This is the monument to the nation's intelligence, sharpness and humour.

Many famous people were born or lived here, among them writer Yu. Smolych, carver V. Dorosh, micro-miniaturist M. Masliuk, painters M. Chornyi and V. Khmeliuk, actor M. Bolduman and others.

Nowdays Zhmerynka is atown of Oblast' subordination. It's an important railway junction of the South-West Railways which carries a significant amount of passenger transit and cargo transit to Kyiv, Odesa, Minsk, Saint Petersburg, Lviv, Chop and further—to the Western European countries.

Not so long ago, in 2003, the town celebrated its Centenary. The town lived through the rough times; however, it looks into the future with great optimism.

Welcome to Zhmerynka!